old timer

Thursday, May 24, 2012

What did the bottle say to the bike?

COME HERE BABY!   

It was love at first sight!

Check this out!  Don't you just love this blue???  I sure do!  What can I say.  You take one of these bicycle wheels, hang it in your garden where it will get tons of sunshine and your whole garden will light up!  It's like magic!!! 

I make a lot of garden art and I do believe my favorite thing is color.  You can't tell that by my clothes, my cars or the inside of my house.  BUT!  In the garden ,,,  you have to have great color.  It doesn't take much.  One piece can make your garden POP!!!

Tell me what you think of this old bicycle wheel!  I'll have these at Sorticulture for sale.



"According to several sources, the trees (in this case the bike wheel) are used to keep evil spirits out of one's home (...) The spirits come out at dusk and are beckoned inside by the slanting light refracted through the sparkling blue bottles.

Once inside, the spirits are trapped. Some say they are vaporized when the bottles are flooded with morning sun.


Others say the spirits simply cannot escape the bottle and that you can hear them moaning in agony when the wind blows through the tree branches."

BLUE WARDS OFF EVIL SPIRITS

Would you like to try this?

All you do is:)

Drill a small hole in the bottom of any beer bottle.

Unscrew the spoke on the bicycle wheel. 

Pull the spoke out and slide the bottle on that spoke. 

Slide the spoke under the hole in the bike rim and screw the "thingy" back onto the spoke. 

DONE!!!!  Add as many as you'd like on each wheel. 

That sounds so fast and easy.  HA!  It's not hard.  BUT!  It does take time and patience.  Try it.  Fumble around a little.  It's okay if it doesn't seem to work the first time.  Mine was easy to do because I have been making stuff like this for the past couple years.  My first one took me a couple hours trying to figure out how to place odd pieces of glass inside the spokes.  This is much easier.

If you have any questions, just ask.  I'd be more than happy to help.

Let me know what you think.  Too much blue?  Not enough blue?   Is there a pattern you like better than the other?

Hey!  Thanks for stopping by and have a good one!  Shell

11 comments:

  1. I think its an awesome piece of garden art! Can't wait to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a lot of fun and color in your garden. When you hang it, place a swivel on it, you can pick one up any place they sell fishing gear. This lets the bike wheel go round and round. More fun! If you need help, just let me know. Shelley

      Delete
  2. Love it. Never to much color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great twist on the bottle tree I have been wanting to make for my garden AND I like this better. I agree with soprok - there is never too much color in the garden. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm always happy to see someone else who wants to make some thing a little different. If you need any help, just yell! Shelley

      Delete
  4. I made a blue bottle tree last year, and I love this wheel idea!! How are you displaying the wheel. It is on posts, or hanging from a chain? I can't tell from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, Thanks for asking! I did hang these from chain. I used an eye bolt. Here's a link to one at Lowes.

      http://www.lowes.com/pd_22065-1277-MP2160BC_0__?productId=3167897&Ntt=eye+bolt&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Deye%2Bbolt&facetInfo=

      If that wasn't easy to follow try this.... Lowes.com item # 22065. I don't know the exact size I used, but one like this is all you need. It needs to be able to hold 20 pounds or so.

      I use it and a length of hanging lamp chain. PERFECT to hang anywhere. You could also use the fork on the bike the tire came from. Just tighten it down REALLY tight. You don't want the wheel to move. Then add a piece of rebar in the ground and put the other end of the bike fork over it, in the ground. Use it like a stand.

      Have fun with this. My neighbors love seeing stuff like this. I'm sure yours will too. Just be ready for people to take pictures!!! :)

      thanks so much! Shelley

      Delete
  5. Wouldn't it be sweet if the spokes without bottles had vanes cut from old soda bottles glued to them with clear silicone caulk? Play around with the vanes until the wheel spins in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some thing like that sounded fun to me too. I made my first one on the bike fork and let it spin. After maybe 2 - 3 turns 1 bottle broke. If you find a way to make the bottles stay put without moving at all, it would work. I didn't take the time to figure it out.

      GREAT IDEA ,,, just needs a little fine tuning! THANKS! Shelley

      Delete