old timer

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Check Out This Alley Find!!!

Okay!  So, it's been a little while since I found this in the alley!  BUT!  I have to tell you!  It was an amazing find.

Remember!  I love it when neighbors I don't know move!  I'm sad to see people I know leave.  BUT!  You just have to love it when any of them leave great STUFF in the alley. 

One afternoon the sun is shining, my head phones and I are really gettin' into some Dave Matthews and what do I see???  I'm thinking,,, NO WAY!  I was just wishing I had one of these to make my life so much easier!!!  What  did I find???  SCORE!!!!



A WET TILE SAW!!!


 
Now, I'm thinking to myself, of course it won't work!  You know people don't just throw away things like this when they work.  SO!  Joy and I kept walking down the alley.  We only had 3 blocks to go, then we'd cut through the park and come back this way again!  WELL!  We only made it one block and I nearly ran back to that garbage can.  Not only was there a tile saw there,,, there was also a small kids mini bike there.  YEP!  Powered mini bike.  LIKE IN MINI MOTORCYCLE!  I didn't know any one with kids that small... so I left it.  It was there for over a week.  I called every one I knew and no one wanted it.

WELL!  Joy and I nearly ran all the way home with this little find of ours.  OK!  So, it's not small, but it sure can cut glass.  You see I was using a $350 glass band saw before that seemed to take 2 to 3 minutes to cut the end off a wine bottle.  This new saw,,, well,,, it cuts them off in seconds.  BUT!  The cut is no where near as clean or nice!  Because the product I was making out of this glass didn't need to be a perfect cut, this was the perfect tool to use.

Check out some pictures of the tool and the "alley" I now have at home...  Alley you ask?  You'll see!!!




Sorry about the picture. 
This sits next to a fence on the south side of my house.

Joy and I go through our alleys 2 times a day to find these wonderful bottles.  Joy gets too tired to walk 3 miles in one trip.


MY ALLEY!  This is the south side of my house.  Here I can break all the glass I do and not worry about any one getting hurt.  Notice all the Coke and blue bottles at the top of the picture.

*******************************************************


SO!!!  What do you,,, okay!  What do I do with all those bottles that you see???  Why, make some thing craptastic!!!  OK!  I hope it turns out to be craptastic!!!

Some bottle tops are melted, slumped, into "beach glass".  When you slump or slightly melt the tops of the bottles they get a hazy look about them.  They look like they just came off the beach.




The neck of a Coke bottle after it's slumped.  Don't you just love these colors!!!???  Obviously, I DO!


Mickey's big mouth beer bottle top!  Thank goodness some one drinks beer.  You see,,, I don't!


Pop, wine, beer, Startbucks, juice. 
You name it.  I cut it!


I love this blue!!!  Don't they look like lifesavers candys???

This is tough to see.  BUT!  I put those tops in between the driftwood and STUFF to make hangings that look like they have beach glass!!!


***************************************************

Some of the bottles I cut the bottoms off of!  Then I put them into concrete.  I put 2 bottoms together and you can see all the way through them.  Some I add glass inside so you can get lots of color.  Some I added sea shells.  I wish I had a good picture to show you.  How about some day this coming week I'll do a quick tutorial on them and you can see how to make them.  These were a BIG hit at the garden show!  Let's say,,, I made over 200 of them and I have one left... and that's because it didn't go to the show.  It's full of antique marbles!


Here is a booth shot showing "bricks" of concrete full of color.  These are the bottoms of bottles.  You can see all the way through these bricks.  TONS OF COLOR!!!


*******************************************


As you can see.  For me, it's all about recycle.  I don't believe in buying new materials when there is so much out there to use for free.  You just have to go find it.  That can take a long time!  BUT!  Enough of this!  Now I want to show you how to do this!!!!  SO!  Be on the lookout for an easy way to do these concrete blocks coming later this week!!!  I still have one week left to behave or the doctor promised to spank me.  HUM?????  Okay!  Never mind!  I'm still on a 15 pound weight lifting restriction due to my appendectomy 8 days ago.  SO!  I'll see you at the end of this week for the tutorial!!!

Thanks for stopping by and have a good one!  Shell


No comments:

Post a Comment