old timer

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Check Out This Wonderful Find no, Finds!!!

Howdy! So today I have to show you what I just brought home.

You see last Saturday I took the amazing artist, Amy Duncan, with me to “my” metal recycle center. We goofed off and she got to meet the guys. Love those guys!

You should have seen her eyes. We drive in, she gets out of the truck and she’s instantly wide eyed and in “Ahz“. We walked around a little bit and she got the lay of the land and a glimpse at some of the piles and piles of goodies.

We dumped a nice load of scrap steel and aluminum cans. Ready for this??? In just 2 days Joy and I found 40 pounds of aluminum cans and we netted $16 for that!!! We walked about 10 blocks this time. SCHWEET!!! We left there with $38 for our little truck load. Thank you very much guys.

WELL!!!  Amy and I went over to the steel scrap pile and looked around.  We found a couple little things, not much, but not bad. After that I backed my truck up to the pile and dumped out my scrap.  After that we hit the copper and brass bins.  Amy was back in “AHz” again.  I showed her around the little bins where people first bring in their stuff. Then we hit the big bins. YUM!  Oh she liked what she saw A LOT!  She found a couple more little goodies.  Peek at her blog, she’ll show them to you! Check her out once in a while, no wait, all the time.  She does some really fun and amazing stuff.

Well, we went to leave and I thought before we left I needed to show her where they haul in the cars and trucks that are brought in for scrap.


AND!!!

There it was.



How sweet is she???


Do you remember me talking about an old truck I’d love to put in a garden? Oh, my dream vehicle was right there for the taking. With the price of scrap being so low right now I honestly took the weekend to thing about it.

THINK! HA! That’s putting it mildly. I fretted and fretted over that damn thing!   I told the boys I’d be back in Monday morning to take the doors and here’s what I saw….!!!!

Don’t you just love this old thing???


The dream!



Love the mirror!





I brought the missing mirror home Saturday.




The passenger side has a key hole while the drivers side does not,,, HUM!



Sorry about the pictures. It was raining that nasty rain. The kind that’s more mist than rain. Around here you get soaked in this stuff. It clings to you instead of rolling off you in big drops.

Well, it took me 1 full hour and I finally had to yell for help. There was just no way I could get the doors off.





I took this off while waiting for help.  Isn't it just yummy! 



WELL! One of the guys came over with this very large, gas driven cut off saw. OMG! In less than 1 minute he had the first door hinge off. SCHWEET! Only 2 left to go. I got one off by myself.

After he was done I got to work on the tail gate. Oh what a beauty this one is.




Great tail gate!




Look at this patina.  Love the logo!



I got 5 out of 6 bolts off and the last one was a bear! Some one replaced the old bolt with the wrong type and it was rusted on. I had to ask for help again. I hate it when this happens. BUT! Some times you just have to do what you have to do. PUNT! So, another one of the guys came over and beat the bolt to death with a chisel. VOILA! 30 seconds later he was done. I was in heaven. I think I’m still there!

I just love the 2 doors and tail gate I brought home. I thought about bringing the whole truck home.

Look at her teeth and those eyes!




I wonder what she's seen and what stories she could tell us?




Who and what rode back here???  Love the running boards!




I just had no way to get her home. I didn’t want the engine in it or the tires on it. SO, I knew I made the right decision to leave it there.

BUT ... 

   THEN ....

One of the guys walks up and what does he do??? He offers to tear it apart for me and HAUL it to my house. OMG! What’s a girl to do???

Sorticulture is 7 months away and I already have 3 large pieces to make for the show, while I usually only make 1.  How would I get it from home to the show?

I PASSED!!!

Shoot me now!!!   J

I’ll be very sorry for this later. But, some times even I know I can’t haul it all home. I’m hoping I get lucky enough to find another truck in say,,,, a year??? Cross your fingers for me.

Well, as you can see I had a ball any way. I’m going to do some stenciling on the doors and put a phony landscaping or gardening company on them. I’m thinking I’ll use an old phone number with letters in it. FUN!

Watch for these at Sorticulture, June 7, 8, 9,  2013.

Thanks for stopping by and have a good one! Shell


4 comments:

  1. Wow, a beauty! Would be great in the yard.

    Maybe you can find another next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! How are ya??? I just wish I could have brought it home. Like you say,,, maybe next year. Thanks! Shell

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you! so glad you got the doors - and the tailgate! I can't believe you restrained yourself and did not bring the whole truck home! It was a ton of fun - I love all my little finds! thanks so much for letting me tag along....you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! I had a ball getting that truck apart. I'm so glad you like your goodies. You were such a good girl :) that day. Any time you want to go and want help or just some company ,,, let me know. I'm always up for going there. Shell

    ReplyDelete