old timer

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Why I Pick Up Junk!

Hi guys!

How's it going???  Around here it's going pretty darn good!  I like it when that happens.

So, lately Joy and I have had some pretty wet weather.  I know, I know!  I live in Washington state.  NO, it does not rain here every day.  Just 2 out of 3!  EEK!  And this winter has been so soggy.  Much wetter than normal.   The "path" from the house to the garage is one long mud bath.  NOT NICE!!!

Because it's been so wet we didn't get out as much as we normally do.  So, it took us 3 weeks (instead of our normal 2 weeks) of picking up cans and a day of picking up scrap metal and we were off to the recycler just down the road.  Now, I can take this into Seattle and make more money.  BUT!  It costs more to go too.  So for me,,, one mile from home is plenty far enough!!!

This is why I go!




My truck with just scrap steel, copper and brass in it.




Here are some buckets filled with the small stuff. 
I find it easier to dump it this way.


This was my first trip.  I have a small Ford Ranger pickup.  I had no idea when I bought the truck 14 years ago that I would ever haul some of the things I do! 



Nothing but aluminum.


This was my second trip.

Total dollars made????   $119!


Not bad for a few hours work.  Remember, Joy and I walk nearly every day through the alleys near our house.  Yep!  Some times in the rain.  We usually walk any where from 1/2 mile to 1 1/2 miles.  Some times we bend over and pick up a few cans or some scrap metal.  By the time we get through with our walk we add any where from 5 minutes to 15 minutes extra when we pick up stuff.  So we really aren't working too hard.

It's every where out there people.  This just paid for a full tank of gas, my  GARBAGE  bill, a nice lunch and a latte at Starbucks.

Some thing to ponder next time you see junk laying around!  :)

Have a good one and thanks for stopping by!  Shell



4 comments:

  1. I love junking and going to recycle.

    I hate waste.

    Good job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!

    Michael @ www.recreatedesigncompany.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! Usually I spend a chunk of that money at the metal recycler so I can get some of that one of a kind "crap" to build with. I hate spending my own money! :) Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete