old timer

Friday, April 26, 2013

Raspberry Scones with Honey Cinnamon Frosting Recipe

YUM!!!

Oh!  Sorry!  HI!!!

I'm hungry!  This morning I knew I was having company and we were going to work on a project in the back yard.  It's always fun to have some thing to munch on while company is over.  SO!  One of the easiest things I know how to make are scones.  PLUS!  They taste great.

Some people are afraid to try making these.  I'll show you how.  It's VERY, VERY easy!!!

READY???



FIRST!  Cheat and buy the good stuff already
in a box and follow the directions.



Just add the water it calls for on the box and
add frozen raspberries. 


***  This box of scone mix is plain.  I love raspberries in my scones.  So, I added about 1 cup of frozen berries to the mix.  You can add most any fruit you'd like.  Blueberries are great too.


Mix slowly and only until the ingredients are together.
DO NOT OVER MIX.

***  The secret to a great scone is to BARELY mix the dough.  Handle it gently and very little.


Your dough will be sticky.
That's good!

***  After you mix what's in your bowl, pour the sticky mess onto a floured board.  Then dust the top of the mess with more flour.  Knead the flour into the mess 5 or 6 times.  STILL, very little and gently.  This is not like you would knead the dough while making bread.  The less you handle this, the lighter your scones.  I want them to melt in my mouth when I eat them.

Put flour on a bread board. 
Dump your sticky scone mix on the flour. 
Dust with flour. 
Knead 5 or 6 times



Divide the dough into 3 pieces.

***  After you knead the dough, divide it into 3 pieces.  Pick up one piece and gently roll it into a ball between your hands.  Lay it on the floured board and gently press it into a circle about one inch tall.  Cut the circle into quarters, 4 pieces.  Place them on a cookie sheet that has NOT been greased.  Repeat for each piece.

Pat each piece into a ball.  Don't handle it too much.
Flatten each ball into a nice round circle.
Cut each circle into 4 pieces.

***  Bake according to box.  While these are baking, gather ingredients for your frosting.

Place your pieces onto a non greased cookie sheet.
Bake according to box directions.

***  I started the frosting when there was about 7 minutes left for the scones to bake.  You will need the following:

Frosting ingredients:
powdered sugar, honey, cinnamon and butter.

***  Frosting:

1 Tablespoon butter
2 to 3 Tablespoons honey ( I like more! )
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon (slightly rounded on top) cinnamon

In a small bowl: melt butter and honey together.  Add powdered sugar and cinnamon.  Beat until completely mixed, smooth.

This frosting is sticky.  The minute the scones were done I pulled them out of the oven and drizzled the frosting on top of the scones.

Because my scones needed to bake a few minutes longer than the box said my frosting was getting a little too hard.  If yours does too, place the bowl of frosting in your microwave for 5 to 10 seconds.  Just enough time to melt it a little.

This is a sticky, gooey frosting!



Pretty and ready to frost straight out of the oven.



Drizzle on your frosting.




Ready to eat!!!


These were soooooo gooooooooooooooood!  They really did melt in my mouth.  The scone mix isn't too sweet.  The raspberries are a little tart.  And the frosting is the butter and honey I would usually place inside the scone, just a little sweeter and spicier!

I love the way this frosting sets up.  It stays a little sticky, but it stays in place.  It doesn't run all over the place.

I hope you understood the directions on how to mix these.  The most important part to making scones:  DO NOT OVER MIX YOUR DOUGH.

If you have any questions about this recipe or how to mix the dough just ask!  I'll help any way I can.

I sure hope you try making these and let me know how you did.

Have a good one and thanks for stopping by!  Shell

4 comments:

  1. I can attest to the fact that they were delicious! thanks for the scones...and the help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I LOVE easy! These are so good! The frosting is sticky, gooey, yummy! UMMMM! I need to bake this Saturday, I think I'll do these again! Easy and lazy! :)

      Delete