old timer

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Garden Signs Made From Old Metal Roofing

Hi guys!

I picked up a nice load of old metal sheets a few years ago from my dads place.  He lives in the middle of the mountains about 1 1/2 hours from my house.  He's that mountain man you hear about or read about in books.  WELL!  Almost.  He's definitely a mountain man ,,, just not that nasty, not washed guy.  He lives where your water comes from the nearest creek.  Your power comes from a generator if you find a need for power.  You use a lot of batteries to keep your radio going so you can listen to the Mariners or Seahawks.  You wash your clothes with an old wringer washing machine and hang them to dry.  SERIOUS.


It takes a generator to make this happen.  I'm guessing
this was probably December.  There isn't much
snow on the ground yet.  The plastic hanging from
a branch is to keep the wind from blowing
him back into the house!  ♥


Well, one year the snow came down so wet, hard and deep it knocked down his cover for his wood.  I got some of the old metal sheets.  YAY!!!

These pale green sheets were covering some of the wood piles close to the shed and the new metal sheet you see was given to me a couple weeks ago.  HUM!  Which do you like best???


I love my plasma cutter.



I sloppily drew on the words ,,,



cut out the letters quickly ,,,




then cut out the edges in a goofy, loopy way.
Can you see the D in 8 seconds? It's an !!!!!.
That's for my bull riders at the PBR and locally.



This is the new metal.  It's much heavier than the old. 
That made it harder to go quickly when I was cutting.


I'm not one of those who goes to school or takes classes to learn how to do things.  WHY?  I don't know.  I find I retain more when I learn the hard way.  One big thing I "re" learned was ,,, don't do this when the wind is blowing hard.  I have a nice big vice that holds things for me while I cut.  BUT!  The new metal was so heavy it moved too much.  Lesson learned!  It's a nasty, sloppy job ,,, but not terrible.  YEP!  It's for sale too ,,, just much cheaper than the rest of them.  I hope to make more today ,,, if it ever stops raining!

Last night Joy and I got lucky while we were picking up cans.  We found a water heater some one threw out.  We finished picking up 2 full large garbage bags of cans and drove back for the water tank.  Today, when the rain stops, I'll drive all that plus more scrap into the recycle center and see what other treasures await!!!

Have a good one and thanks for stopping by!  Shell



6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to know their are great recyclers out there like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness. I just keep trying! Shell

      Delete
  2. you are a hoot! and I would love to meet your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm going up soon,,, wanna ride along??? Bring your fishing gear! :)

      Delete
  3. These old metal signs are awesome especially the last one.I really appreciated your effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you very much! I had fun. Have a fun and safe 4th! Shelley

      Delete