old timer

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I GOT IT!!! Now What To Do With It???

Okay!  So I hit the recycle center this morning just before it opened.  Yeah!  Me and 3 other guys.  I couldn't believe it.  There was a line up to get in.  WOW!  SCHWEET!

I had to talk one of the guys into giving up this part.  He wanted it too.  SO!  I won!  You see ,,, I brought scones!!!  YEP!  Blueberry scones with honey cinnamon frosting (click here to see how).  And they were still warm, right out of the oven!!!

Here's what I bought!!!



This is a 1955 Mercedes Benz.  Some one already
beat me to the door handles or I would
have brought all the doors home! 



Now you see it!




Now you don't!!!  tee hee hee!!!



I brought this home with me. 
Cost?  $3.00!!!

I went in there today ready.  I brought an electric grinding tool with a cutting blade on it.  This took me less than 5 minutes to cut off.  After a little grinding it will be smooth and ready to build into a planter.

Then I came home.  I was so excited thinking I was going to make a garden planter out of it.  OOPS!  I looked it up on eBay first.  There's one on there right now in a little bit better shape and it's listed at ... ready???  HOLY CRAP!  $499.

NO KIDDING!  Can I make a planter out of this now??? NOPE!!!

How bad would it be to make this into an outrageous planter and sell it for $100 and have the guy go home, tear it apart and sell it for $300 plus!  EEK!  Never mind this one.

SO!  I played with the other piece I picked up at the recycle center!

READY???



I love this piece.  The crystals are high quality
and will sparkle all year long!




This came out of an air conditioner.



The middle looks like the inside of a flower.



This so wanted to be a water feature.  BUT!  I
don't have power to run it at Sorticulture!


As you can see I had fun today!  Wait until you see what I'm making tomorrow!  More fun! 

Only 8 more days left to build for Sorticulture (click here for vendor map) and then ,,, it's here!  EEK!

Have a good one and thanks for stopping by!  Shell

4 comments:

  1. What a great score. Love the garden art. Reminds me of something similar in my flower bed, but I have the copper wrapped around green bottles.

    Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great score is right. It's so nice to get lucky every once in a while! Some day you are going to have to send me pictures of stuff in your yard! Thanks again Ramona!!!

      Delete
  2. Do you do the welding yourself on your projects? If so, did you take a welding class? What kind of welding equipment do you have? I have many projects I want to make, but it requires welding. I can't afford the high dollar welding rigs. What kind of welding equipment do I need to purchase to get going on my projects? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! Yes, I do all my own welding. My welder came with a video. That's not nearly enough to honestly teach you. BUT! It got me started. I didn't take any classes. I just couldn't afford them. If there was one class I wished I would have taken ,,, it would be how to identify each and every type of metal out there. I really stink at that. To me, if I can put a magnet to it and it sticks ,,, I weld it. I call myself a Melder. I kind of melt, kind of weld stuff together. Some people call it farmer welding. What ever is magnetic gets welded. NOT the correct way to do it.

      I bought a Miller 175 MIG welder. It was the smallest welder of that style they made that I could add gas too (although I still haven't bought the gas setup. It's expensive too). Gas makes things so much hotter, which makes welding so much easier. It is also 220v. That is a must. Don't bother buying a cheaper 110v model because I PROMISE it will NOT be worth it. I ask tons of questions to people in a position to offer any type of advice on metals, welders, equipment. ANYTHING that might help me now or some day.

      I bought my welder through a welding shop. They have parts, help and lots of experience and KNOW what they are talking about. I got it about 10 years ago for $625, plus tax. I am extremely happy with it. SO! 7 or 8 years ago I bought their smallest hobby plasma cutter at a once in a life time sale. It cost me $1399, plus tax and I had to buy an air compressor for it at another $200 or so. It has been well worth it also.

      I LOVE both machines and would ask you to look every where for the best price you can find on a well known brand. I found one cheaper, went into the welding shop and told them. They matched the price for me. I love them. HA! I used to take food to them once in a while just to say thanks again.

      Do you know you can not weld copper? You solder copper. Soldering is easy and much cheaper to do than welding. If you want to learn to solder ,,, take a class at a local stained glass shop. First: you will learn all the proper techniques and the class should be affordable. Second: you will leave there with at least one finished project!

      Good luck. I hope this helped! If you want more questions answered, just drop me a note. I'll do my best to answer them for you. Shelley

      Delete