old timer

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fresh Raspberry Cake with Chocolate Frosting!

O. M. G. This is so good!!!

OOPS! Hi Guys!!! tee hee hee!!!

Last night Joy and I were out working in the back yard. I was feeding her raspberries off a few plants that keep coming up each year where I don't want them. Then I realized how many there were. MAN!!! There was a small ton of them. SO! I brought out a bowl and started filling it.



Freshly picked right out of the yard!  YUM!



This morning I looked at that big bowl in my fridge trying to figure out what to do with them. AH! It didn't take long. I was thinking raspberry shortcake. So, because I'm lazy, I got out a white cake mix, some eggs and butter, threw them all in a bowl and beat it to death!!! Then I poured about 1/2 of it into an oblong cake pan.


I used butter instead of oil and 3 whole eggs.



Pour about 1/2 the batter in the pan.



  Then I threw most of the raspberries over the top of the cake mix.



Add a generous amount of berries.  This is around 2 cups.


Then I slowly poured the rest of the cake mix over the raspberries trying to make sure each berry was covered.





All berries covered.



Baked that puppy up. OH MY... Dear Betty Crocker. PLEASE! Could you go back to your earlier recipe and give me back a decent product!!! OOPS!  You didn't want to hear that did you? 


Baked but not pretty.


After Joy and I went for a walk I cut the cake and fell in love!!!!



The berries fell to the bottom, but there was no problem
cutting the cake or pulling the pieces out.
NO MESS!!!!!

This is what the bottom looked like
on the first piece I pulled out.


The cake itself is sweet and the raspberries are tart. YUM!!! Who needs frosting? OH! YOU??????


OKAY! I used chocolate! What can I say??? Oh I know ,,,                              SINFUL!!!!


What can I say?  I'm very lazy some times!



Frosted and soooo ready to eat.



The part not frosted?
That's for me!!!

 

OKAY! So what did I do????

I made the box mix as the recipe called for EXCEPT! I used melted butter for the oil. Because this was a white cake it calls for 3 egg whites. I used 3 whole eggs. Every thing else was just what the box called for.

The raspberries make the cake a little wetter while it's baking so it might take an extra 5 minutes or so to bake. This took 35 minutes to bake.

Give this a try while the berries are still around! YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Have a good one and thanks for stopping by!!!!!










4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I ate so much of this! LOL! I love this without the frosting. BUT! It's reallllllly good with it! Have a wonderful week! Shell

      Delete
  2. OK Shelley. I just made my first cake in about 30 years!! LOL I love to cook but I'm not a baker. Michelle just happened to bring me fresh raspberries right after you posted this recipe. I followed your directions exactly except I had slightly less than 2 cups of berries. Awesome light cake. I made up my own frosting with cream cheese, butter, sugar and a white vanilla from Mexico. I just hope my husband doesn't think this is going to be a regular happening!!! I think some toasted sliver almonds would have been good on top too. Hmmm, may with some leftover cake?

    Thanks for posting.

    Diana ~ Scents of Thyme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Your hubby is probably the happiest man in the world! I love the idea of toasted almonds on top. I have another batch of berries ready outside,,, I'm going to make this again with cinnamon frosting and toasted almonds! YUM!!! Great idea! THANKS!!! Shell

      Delete