old timer

Friday, August 30, 2013

From Beer Cans to Earrings

Hi guys!

How are ya???  Around here, well, it's all just peachy!  Fuzzy!  LOL!

You see this morning Joy and I went for a walk and we found beer cans.  YEP!  Same as most days,,, but, this time I noticed (after smashing nearly all of them) a few cans that had a nice Seattle Seahawk football team logo on them.  SO!  We kept a couple out of the smashed pile and RAN for home.  I was so excited.

I've watched, over the past year, all these cans from sodas, energy drinks, beer, etc. getting smashed and thinking some of them have gorgeous colors and art work on them.  I've tried cutting them up before but when you really look at the pieces ,,, they are still just a piece of a beer can.  EEK!

NOT this time.  I cut out the logos and took another chance. 



This is what they looked like after I got them home.



Not bad!



Kind of fun!




Love the hearts!




One more pair.


OKAY!  So they aren't top dollar earrings.  BUT!  They are a one of a kind, fun to wear pair for Seahawk Sunday!!!  Around here that's a big deal. 

Once I cut these out and finished them I went to make a couple more pairs and I realized most of the cans had been smashed together in a bag so many of the cans were scratched.  If you look hard you can see a tiny mark here and there on the tin.  That's because the cans are painted.  I wish I would have tried spraying them with a clear paint or brushed on some resin or clear nail polish before I even cut out the tin.  I'm going to try that on the next batch .... if I can find any more.

Because these are only aluminum and painted on they are very light weight and can easily be scratched and bent out of shape.  After I finished these I gave them a light spray of clear acrylic paint.  It should help, but it won't keep them looking this new if you are tough on earrings.  

We'll see how they sell and work soon enough.... this is where my fuzzy day came into play ,,,, OOPS!  I finished these up, made a giant pile of pumpkin oatmeal cookies (with raisins and chocolate chips), then started getting scrap metal and cans ready to take to the recycle center.  After I did all that I'd drop the earrings and some cookies off at We Do Art then go to watch the Seahawks at the White Buffalo and have some pizza.  OOPS!  I double checked game time ,,, wait!  I couldn't find the time.   WHY????  It was on last night.  EEK!  We had this monster rain storm come through and I forgot all about the game.  What can I say?  I was feeling just peachy!

These will go to We Do Art Saturday. YEP!  Beth will still get some cookies.  I'll drop off the metal tomorrow and the guys will get the rest of the cookies.  YAY!  What?  Did I eat some?  (I just crossed my fingers!)  Only a couple!   :)

Have a good one and thanks for stopping by!  Shell

2 comments: