old timer

Monday, January 27, 2014

Rain Barrel Art Project WIP Part 1

Hi guys!

Okay!  So, a while back a friend of mine dropped me a note and said,,, hey!  Check out this call for artists, it's right down your "alley". 

CUTE!  :)'

So!  I did.  I put in my application and hoped.  THEN!  I got accepted.  I am one of quite a few artists who are being asked to "decorate" around 35 rain barrels.  The city of Everett is going to pay artists to make these into fun pieces of garden art.  Then they will put these around the city in different places and let people see and check them out.  Some where in here, they will be teaching people the hows and whys of using rain barrels to collect and use rain water.  Then in the end they will sell them to the public for their yards.   SCHWEET!  Every one wins!!!

So, here's my first try at making mine,,, believe me when I say,,, there is a part 2!!!!



This is the rain barrel I picked up. 
The spout on the side is for the overflow
when the barrel is too full.

 
 
Joy is helping me.  The hole in the bottom
will receive a faucet that you can add a hose too.

 
 
The screen keeps the mosquitoes out. 

 
 
My idea for this art project is to build a "fence" around it.  I wouldn't want all that blue showing in my garden.  It's just TOO BLUE!!!  Now, if it was cobalt blue ,,, well, that would be a whole different thing!
 
 
 
So, I pulled out my fencing material.  YEP! 
The metal roofing.

 
 
I found a few tools to get me started.

 
 
 
I suck when it comes to measuring.  That's why I make the type of art I do.  I tried all the pretty, perfectly cut and put together work.  HA!  I found it easier just to go with the flow and make what I want and HOPE it works out in the end.
 
After I cut 2 long pieces of roofing into 2 pieces each.  I riveted 3 of them together to make one long piece.  I stood them up next to the barrel and knew they were "close" to fitting all the way around.  I was thinking I'd need one more piece.  MAN!  Did I get lucky.  They fit perfectly around the barrel and the over lap was perfect too.  You'll see in the end.
 
Once I knew they would fit, I laid them out in my back yard and got out the plasma cutter.  O.M.G. do I love my plasma cutter.  It cost a small fortune.  BUT!  An art piece like this will help pay a nice chunk of that cost.  When I'm done with part two of this, I'll tell you how much actual money I spent on this.
 
I drew my picture on the inside of this fence with chalk and went to work cutting it out.  I didn't make my cuts too wide because once you cut some thing off, you can't put it back.  WELL!  I can too, it just might not look at that great!
 
Here's what it looked like when I was done.
 
 
 
 
It's very hard to see with this photo.  Easier to see
at home, but the cuts are too thin.  I need more
of the blue to show.

 
 
I live about 2.5 miles from Puget Sound,
Port Gardner Bay.  To me this is all about
the bay I made for the critters to live in
in your back yard.

 
 
There are some starfish, sand dollars (okay, they are
in the ocean 4 hours away), fish and a whale
(she's supposed to be the gray whale that swam under
the row boat my mom was fishing in when I was a kid
right here in the bay).

 
 
Her tail and some waves.  I have a thing
about hearts,,, what can I say!

 
 
My whale smiled when she went under moms boat!

 
 
Here the 2 sides meet.  I used magnets to hold them
together.  Trust me!  The magnets will hold fine. 
3 of them cost me $73!!!  OUCH!!!  Should I tell
you now???  I'm taking them back!!! 

 
 
See how the 2 sides met up perfectly?  Oh, did I
get lucky here!!!  The magnet is small and was
a temporary way to hold this together so I
could look this whole thing over.


I have to tell you ....  I'm not happy with this at all!!!  NOPE!!!

So, the next day I went out and cut the pattern out bigger.  You see more space, more blue.  After all, the blue is the water in my little bay by your garage(???).

I need to cut out more critters too.  I see large holes.  OKAY!  Places where nothing is cut out.  Plus, I need to find a better way to connect the 2 sides.  I've had this plan in my head on what to do, but when I found that magnets held it together pretty good I thought it would work.  I bought 3 1"  magnets with 12 pound pull.  The ones on your fridge probably have 1/2 pound pull.  In other wards, it only takes 1/2 pound of pressure to pull them off the metal.  When I went to buy the bigger magnets I put all 3 of them on top of each other and went to leave.  Did you guess what happened???  I COULDN'T pull them off each other.  It took 2 of us a long time to get them apart.  OOPS!

So, I'll be back very soon to show you how this worked out and show you how I connected the 2 sides.  It's much, much better and funkier!!!

Thanks so much!!!!   Shell




2 comments:

  1. Neat concept. Our city had a catfish contest like that. They had huge theme painted catfish everywhere.

    ReplyDelete