old timer

Monday, March 31, 2014

An Alley Find and the Oso Mud Slide

Hi guys!

WOW!  The past couple weeks have been crazy and ugly around here!

First, bull riding!  Yee Haw!!!  I had a ball.  I spent a Saturday and Sunday at the Tacoma Dome watching the P.B.R. (Professional Bull Riders) ride them bulls.  O.M.G.  I have to tell ya.  The adrenaline in the dome was high.  It's like a loud rock concert with guys riding these monster sized animals and I'm honestly not sure who's flying higher in the air.  The bull or the rider.  The bulls are amazing athletes.... yep!  So are the riders.  It was a hoot.

Then my son, his wife and their 3 kids came to town a couple days later and stayed for a week.  YAY!  They live in Minnesota,,, oh so stinkin' far away.  It was so fun.  They have a little one that's not quite a year old.  It's been a long time since I've been around a tiny one.  SCHWEET!!!

Then the weekend they were here the Oso mud slide happened.  SO, SO SAD!!!   My father lives another 40 to 50 minutes up the mountain from there.  We had a family get together on Sunday.  We were going to have it that Saturday, but, it was too tough to get every one together that day.  If we would have,,,, well, dad would have been going over that exact stretch of road around that time.  It could have been even uglier than it is, for us! 

I've been up there 2 times now delivering food.  It's the only thing I could think of to do, physically.  I sent the gas money, I bought the t-shirt,,, but, it just doesn't feel like enough!  They have so much food and support it is truly amazing!!!  Thanks every one for all your help, support and prayers.  Several people have asked what they can do.  I honestly don't know.  Just follow your heart and do what you believe is right for you.  If it's cash, then find a place to send it.  If it's food, cook it, deliver it.  If it's a prayer say it and an extra one!  If there's some thing you would like to do and you aren't sure where or how to find out how ,,, click on this sentence to find a few things, just  follow this link.  THANKS!!!  Every single thing is appreciated!  The clean up is going to take a very, very long back breaking amount of work and time.

When I drove up to the fire station I got the sense that there was complete controlled chaos.  What I found was volunteers from the field walking around with food and sad faces.  Exhaustion.  What a great group.  Both times were like that.  They were grateful for the food and a place to unwind.  I can't thank these people enough.  If you've heard the news that they are up to their chests in mud,,, they aren't kidding!  It's so sad and ugly.  Keep your fingers promised the river behaves until more  or all of this mess is cleaned up!

Well,,,, thanks for listening,,, I needed that!

Look what I found!



I love these!!!


They make a great storage place where goodies can be seen!
 
 
 
YEP!  Beer caps!  What else???  LOL!!!

By the way, if you are looking for wonderful REAL meat, a real butcher shop, try Silvana Meats (click for a link).  After my first trip up to Oso I swung through there.  They have outrageous ham hocks.  I thought it would be fun to buy one or two and make a big pot of navy bean soup for the volunteers.  I was never so happy to find they gave me 4 and some bacon (breakfast burritos next).   They were awesome.  Some how, probably my adrenaline rush (that's still here) from just leaving Oso for the first time, we started talking about how I needed the hocks cut in half.  My soup pot is big, but their hocks are giant and oh so good!!!  Well, they realized where the soup was going and I went from buying 2 to be given 4!  I used 2 so far in a monstrous sized pot of soup.  I've never made one that large before.  AND!  Oh was it good.  THANKS GUYS!!!!

If you live on the east side of the slide and shop at Silvana Meats you can go on line or call and place an order.  Pay for it and tell them who will pick it up.  Get several people to do this and have one pick it up.  They are ready to help!!!  Great people!!!

Well folks, it's been a crazy past few weeks.  One great thing that happened was,,,, I WAS ACCEPTED TO SORTICULTURE!!!!  YAY!!!!  Now, once I get it together we'll see some garden art posted here.  Soon ,,,, I HOPE!!!

Have a good one!  Shell



2 comments:

  1. That was an awful tragedy.

    You are very sweet to make food for them.

    Prayers sent for all of you.

    ReplyDelete