old timer

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Sorticulture Recap

Howdy!!!

O.M.G.  What a great show!  AMAZING is more like it.  If you have ever gone to a show (garden or art) as a vendor or a buyer you know what I'm talking about.  Some of these shows last years.  Some have been around a long, long time and should have gone away a long, long time ago.  This one is NOT that.  This was the 17th year of this show and it just keeps getting better and better.

WHY?

Easy!  The outfit that is putting this on is enjoying their job.  That's all there is to it.  There are people in an office who know their job.   There are Rangers who take great care of the park.  There's young help who learn a lot and bring in energy helping us load in our goodies.  There are security guards there at night who don't sleep through the job.  THEN,,, there's all of us, vendors, who love to share our weekend "journey" with those who run it and who listen to us.  That's what makes it all work and keep on going.

I've done a few other shows.  Not many.  One thing that sets this apart from the rest of the shows ,,,, it's set up, it's lay out.  It makes ALL the difference in the world.

So you ask ... what sold???  Honestly???  EVERYTHING!

I have a few birdhouses, scarecrows and wind chimes left.  Not much else.

What sold first?

The windmill, the shower, the privacy screens, the mattress springs with the birdhouse on top, the tables made with wheels, the NW blue chili's, the gear table, the oven I filled with flowers, the metal flower, the sink, the shutter shelf and birdhouse and CROWNS.

I kid you not.  CROWNS!  Did I ever show you those?   I was making the Ford tailgate bench (yep!  It sold.) and I like to beef up the sides with metal.  I use the plasma cutter to cut out the words Ford and pick up.  Well, I haven't used the cutter since last August.  I wanted to practice a little.  So I found some old metal garden pots in the yard and took to cutting them.   What????  Yes, metal garden pots.  That's what the flowers came in before there was plastic.  LOL!  It's amazing how many people didn't know that.  Anyway, I cut up 16 pots,,, I just couldn't stop.  It was fun.  In order to keep them out of my way, I used my "bag lady shopping cart" as a place to keep them.  As I left the house Friday morning to go to the show I saw them, realized I had space in the truck to bring them.   WELL!  2 hours later they were sold out.  At only $5 each they were a hit.  So, I got up early Saturday morning (NO!  I didn't sleep all night).  I had time to burn a few more.  23 out of 24 sold by the end of the day.  The next morning,,, yep!  I cut 24 more.  I sold every single one by the end of the day.

You just never know what will sell.  Those paid for one of my 2 booth spots!!!

My bag lady shopping cart with some crowns!!!


Larger pic.


Here are a few pics of my setup.  It's always hard to see these.  I take pics late at night and early in the morning.  Hope you can see some thing.    

 
8AM Friday.
 
 
 
8PM Friday - Several of the pieces you see are sold.
 
 
 
A little closer look.
 
 
 
My horse birdhouse sold 6 or 7 times, but each person
wanted to leave it in the weather.  I talked them out
 of it.  I don't think the horn will last in the weather.
 
 
 
FUN!
 
 
 
Every thing you see here sold quickly!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Both tables made from wheels sold.
          
Today I was talking to a friend who attended a meeting, including people who run the art scene around here, and Sorticulture was discussed.  They bring in an ATM machine each year.  There are a lot of small businesses like mine.  I don't take plastic of any kind. I don't even own a cell phone.   So, I take cash and checks.  I've never had a bad check.  Well, she found out they loaded that machine with $30,000 in cash,,, ready ,,, there was only $40 left at the end of Sunday!  WOW!!! 

I had a ball.  It's so much fun to see these once a year friends.  They are all wonderful.  I couldn't do this without them!!!  Thanks guys!
               

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your success and for having a wonderful show. That makes your hard work worth the time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and AMEN! It's so much fun. I already have my list ready for next year! LOL!

      Delete
  2. OMG was this this best weather for the show or what. Not too hot or cold and NO rain! Congrats on your show. Loved following your "building" blog and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! It was amazing weather. It got cold one day even though it was sun shining. It was crazy. I NEED to come say hi! Soon!

      Delete