old timer

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Clothes Hangers Made From Bike Spokes and a Gas Station Dip Stick - DIY

HOWDY!

I'm so excited to show you these. FUN!!!!

I was thinking that if I'm going to put out a line of recycled clothing ,,, well ,,, they need to be shown on something recycled.  AND!  By that I don't mean your old clothes hangers you gave to a thrift shop and I bought.  By that I mean hangers I made out of parts from something "odd". 

Here's what we are going to make. 

YES you can!!!  These are very easy.


I measured a couple hangers I had and they were around 17 to 19 inches wide. 

FIRST:  find a piece of thick wood you would like to use as your hanger.  I used a section of an old gas station dip stick.  I cut it into 4 pieces.

SECOND: find enough bike spokes to finish your wood pieces.  In my case, I used 4.


It's hard to see these.  Click on the picture and
it will enlarge it for you.
Here are 3 hangers getting ready to go.
 
 
 
After you cut your boards to length, drill one hole
in the middle of each that's just barely big enough
for the fat end of your spoke to go through.


Add a washer to the larger piece, push the spoke
through the board.  Screw on the end of the spoke.


You want the hole in the wood tight.  I used a
hammer and tapped lightly on the screw and
it went right through for me.


I'm going to wrap that wire around the base of this
 art piece using it to make the top of the hanger.


Pull to make the top round part.


This is about what you will see.  Any thing close
to this will work.  Each one you make will get better.


I held the wire by the wood and pulled the wire
over my finger to get that bend for the top.


I held the wire where it went over my finger and
pulled the rounded part around that art piece again. 
This is what the first one looked like that
I made with only my hands.



I made 3 more using various tools trying to figure out the easiest and best way to do this.  FIRST!  DO NOT use shorter spokes.  You can.  But, they are very hard to bend.  I had to use several tools again trying to figure out the best way to do it.  The best way ,,, use longer spokes.  Larger bike wheels.



Voila!


I will make several more out of different types of wood.  I used this because it was right there when I first thought of doing this.  Next I'll use some scraps of wood that are out in the garage.  AND I will use the bike spokes again.  They are hard, firm and easy to manipulate.  They might not hold a heavy winter coat.  But, they will hold any shirt I'm working on right now.  What?  How am I going to hang the skirt???  HA!  I think I just now figured it out.  I'll show you some other time.

What would you use for the wood piece???  How about the metal???

THANKS!!!  Shell

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. Thanks for showing us how to make them.

    skirt.....something with clothes pins on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect doesn't it??? I have to try it soon! You're welcome!!!

      Delete