old timer

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Peaches, Bacon & Puff Pastry OH MY!

Hi guys!

So???  Are ya hungry yet???  I sure hope so.  Diana,,, you still got some of that puff pastry hangin' around???  I sure hope so!

First let me say,,, I am a baker who loves to hang out in my kitchen and put together foods that I think will work together.... NOW!  You might not think this works,,, but remember the golden rule about any food.... BACON!  It's what's for dinner, lunch, breakfast, dessert and snacks!!!  ENOUGH SAID?

Ingredients:
Pie:
Puff Pastry - I used 4 - 4" squares
Bacon, cooked almost crispy
Peaches - one will work for this size recipe
Cinnamon 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.
Cloves 1/8 to 1/4 tsp.
Vanilla 1/2 tsp.
Tapioca (if you want, not necessary) 1 to 2 tsp.

Icing:
Powdered Sugar 1/2 cup
Butter, soft, 1 to 2 TBSP.
Vanilla 1/2 tsp.
Milk (I used canned milk, you can also use water)


READY?

Start with a peach or 2.

In a mixing bowl peel & dice your peach(es), add cinnamon, cloves, vanilla and tapioca.   
NO!  I didn't measure, but that might be close!  :)

Frozen puff pastry I put under the kitchen faucet
and got wet.  Let thaw a little.  It won't take long!

I used a paper towel to get excess water off
the cookie sheet.  Fold corners over.

Pinch corners to the sides and you get
a box or shallow dish.

Sloppy and messy is fine. 
They will puff up as they cook.

I cut my bacon into 1/2" pieces before I cook it. 
Easier!  Cook until they are done.  They will
continue to cook in the oven.

Sorry, I should have taken a picture before they hit
the oven.  Fill your "dishes" with your
peach mixture, top with bacon.  BAKE!

375* for 20 minutes looks like this. 
Not quite done yet.  Try 5 more minutes.

AHHHHH!  Just right.  Your oven might
take longer or you might want to turn
up the temperature to 400*.

I had about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of apricot jam left in
the fridge.  YEP!  I heated it in the microwave

and spooned about a teaspoon over each pie?
tart? before I put them in the oven.


Mix your soft butter with the powdered sugar
and vanilla.  I know, it's hard to do this... add
a tiny bit of milk at a time and it will come
out very smooth without using a mixer. 


I made my frosting almost runny.  Using a small
spoon full at a time, drizzle it over your pies. 
Mainly that crust!

Puff pastry is usually salty in flavor.  I put a small
amount of "icing" over each pie (mainly the crust) 
to cut that salty flavor.

I tried it while it was hot,,, yum!
I tried it (SHUT UP!), yes, a 2nd one!
cold and it was FANTASTIC!!!


Now,,, give this a try and remember.  I'm just a lady who likes to try things.  This isn't a well written recipe, but you don't need it.  If you like cinnamon,,,, throw a bunch in there.  If you like vanilla,,, use a little more.  I LOVE canned milk in my frosting.  To me, you get a better flavor.  BUTTER!  I mean come on!!!  The more the merrier in frosting!!!  Cloves you ask???  Think Easter ham.  We put cloves in it.  Bacon?  Ham?  Oh yeah,, pork!  So try it.  This is excellent. 

By the way, if you can only find full sheets of puff pastry, it's okay.  Just cut them into squares.  Baking a full sheet and using this recipe will not work well.  You need more filler.  You can double or triple the filler recipe here, but the pastry bottom, in the middle, will not be nearly as nice as a small square will be.

I'm thinking of trying it again with scrambled eggs on it.  AM TOO!!!  I mean,, hello!  Can you say custard???  YUM! 

Add a couple nuts!  Add some raisins or cranberries.  YUM!  Let this be your guide and GO FOR IT!!!!

Let me know if you tried this.  I'd love to hear what you think!

Shell

4 comments:

  1. I don't measure either. Those look yummy. I would not have thought to put bacon and peaches together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it because the peach jam on my toast got on the bacon and it was sooooo goooood! DON'T try this with eggs,,,yet, ICK! I made such a yummy looking custard peach pie,,, it sucked! LOL! I'll try it again another day. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Oh, yeah . . gotta try this. Still have puff pastry squares ~ there's a lot to a case LOL. You got my fav's in this recipe. . . bacon, peaches and puff pastry. My tummy is smiling. After a practice, I will serve this to my company next week for breakfast. Thank you for posting another food inspiration. Also love your Seahawk earrings ;)

      Delete
    3. YAY! This is soooo good. Let me know how they turn out! :)

      Delete