old timer

Monday, June 1, 2015

Brass Bell Hanging WIP

Would you like to see what Macs and I are working on???

Check this out!!!

 
 
My buddy Macs is helping me with my bells. 
He tests the quality of their sound.
 
 
 
 
I started with this.  A rusted, corroded metal chair
seat and ???  I've had this for 2 years waiting
for that perfect piece.  I LOVE the color!

 
I used hanging light chain to hang the chair seat.
 





I added 79 brass bells ....

 
 
about 608 inches of recycled jewelry chain ...

 
 
and 158 jump rings.



 
Now Macs and I have to find the time and patience
to solder every one of those jump rings.   EEK!!!


WHY???  Why is it we like to make things that are toooooo time consuming???  AND expensive???  If I were to buy each of these parts on sale the cost would be insane.  I priced each item out:
 
79 brass bells = $22.91
chain = 77.97
jump rings = $14.22
Total = $115.10 ON SALE!!!
 
OUCH!  That's just crazy.  So,,, I have about 2 hours into just hanging the bells.  I still have another hour to go soldering all the jump rings.  That would be a $200 piece.  OUCH!  Thank goodness for dumpster diving and keeping left over every thing.
 
This is amazing.  The sound is so much fun.  I'm hoping to hang this from a big blue funky spring I just found.  I'm trying to figure out how to bend the ends so I can use it.  Only time will tell ... well, plus Patrick the recycle worker who can make anything work!!!  Thank goodness for Pat.  The cost???  Tomorrow it will be peach cobbler!  YUM.
 
This SHOULD be at Sorticulture.  

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like he's getting a tasty bargain from you!

    I bet that does sound amazing and all good crafters should have a wonderful kitty helper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So inspiring. If only I had space to work at this stuff. I have a big apartment but it's rented and nowhere to use power tools or a place to solder. So sad:-) But I make what I can. I love what you do... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. After my kids moved out of the house,,, well, the first floor of my small house became my art studio. It's fun,,, but, what a mess. :) Take care!

      Delete
  3. That is such an awesome idea. Thank you for sharing this. I sent my husband out immediately to look for an old piece of metal where I could hang it all from. Mine does in no way look anywhere as beautiful as your piece of art. Thank you for sharing this with us though, look forward to more, thank you.

    Brandi Bradley @ Rotax Metals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do love to make fun things. Sometimes I get lucky and they work out just like I wanted them too. Like this one. Others ... well??? You just never know. SO! Make it anyway and see what ya get. It's all fun! If you need any help with this ,,, just drop me a note. Have fun with it. it will be GORGEOUS! Have a great weekend and thank you for your kind note. Shelley

      Delete